No Secrets Cosmetics aims to be sustainable and ethical, but what does sustainability actually mean?
Sustainability is the balance of maintaining change in a balanced environment. Because it’s always possible to do better and the world around us is evolving, sustainability is an ideal towards which we continuously need to work, rather than a finished state. Working towards sustainability involves three main areas: environment, economic and social, all of which we have built into the ethos of No Secrets Cosmetics.
Read on to find out what No Secrets Cosmetics does in order to be more sustainable.
- Transparency and traceability: our clear packaging and information on our website allows you to know exactly what you’re buying. We’re honest with you and don’t make false promises. We give you as much information as possible on the origin of our ingredients and, where possible, order directly from the producer.
- Greener formulations: we use ingredients that won’t damage the environment, so most of our products are natural or biodegradable. We favour farmers who are working towards sustainability and who are bee-friendly.
- Sustainable ingredients:
- Palm oil: unfortunately, oil palm cultivation is responsible for displacement of indigenous peoples, deforestation and a loss of biodiversity. Until we can find a truly sustainable palm oil, we will avoid palm oil in our products.
- Sustainable essential oils: we avoid using essential oils from endangered species such as cedarwood, rosewood, sandalwood, vanilla and juniper. Instead, we use locally grown and distilled essential oils whenever possible.
- Sustainable packaging: we use recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging and encourage the recycling of packaging. We offer a local refill service for our oils.
- Climate change: we aim to reduce our carbon footprint by working locally wherever possible, using resources from local farmers and packaging manufacturers. We favour suppliers who take care of the environment. We use manufacturing processes that use the least energy possible.
- Social impact: we support local businesses by buying from farmers and co-operatives. When we need ingredients from further afield such as shea butter and cocoa butter, we buy fairly-traded ingredients to make sure that the local community benefits from the sales. We also work with local charities to raise money for good causes.
Please read our article Locally sourced ingredients to know more.
Our packaging explained